Schools have the chance to receive $4,000 through a competitive, nationwide funding program to help them implement their Fuel Up to Play 60 (FUTP60) program successfully. The next application deadline is January 15, 2013 – so if you know of a school who already is a FUTP60 school or one who may be interested in joining FUTP60, let them know of this great opportunity. Now is the time to apply. http://school.fueluptoplay60.com/home.php
How have schools used their FUTP60 fund?
- Purchase Vitamixers to make yogurt or milk smoothies at school
- Taste testing of new school meal options as part of the “Healthy Plays”
- Initiate classroom activities breaks or after school physical activities
- Promote healthy, yummy options on the menus
- Host a school-wide FUTP60 kick-off event, featuring an NFL player or mascot
- Painting activity grids on their playground area
Austin Independent School District was recently awarded a $320,000 grant by DairyMax, a Fuel Up to Play 60 program partner, to give their elementary school playgrounds a new look. The grant money was used to repaint student’s playground with grids, maps and rulers that allow the children to use their imaginations to create fun games that not only take classroom activities outdoors, but also get the kids active. Check out the video link below to see how the kids are now enjoying their new playground area.