Snack time is a great time for kids to eat foods that benefit their growing bodies. Snacks add nutrients between meals and helps kids concentrate by keeping their energy levels high. Our new “Snack Strategies Handouts” will help children choose snacks that give their bodies the nutrients and energy that they need. The front side of the handout features photos of tasty and good-for-you snack choices organized by food group. The backside includes snack suggestions by food group and explains to parents and caregivers why snacks are important for young, growing bodies.
Here are some ideas for choosing healthy snacks:
• Choose from a rainbow of colorful vegetables
• Choose whole grains for long-lasting energy
• Choose protein foods that are low-fat
• Choose low-fat or fat-free (skim) dairy foods
• Remember to keep portions small-Snacks shouldn’t replace a meal
Making the right snack choices is a necessary part of choosing a healthy lifestyle! Visit Learning ZoneXpress for additional March is Nutrition Month resources.