In honor of National Breastfeeding Awareness Month, we thought it would be a great time to talk about our MyPlate: Nutrition While Breastfeeding Education Cards. When you are breastfeeding, you have special nutritional needs and that’s why this education card is so useful in explaining how to follow the USDA MyPlate plan while breastfeeding.
This card shows different amounts of food to eat each day if you are breastfeeding only or breastfeeding and giving formula. It also offers healthy tips like:
- Choose more dark green and orange vegetables.
- Eat a variety of fruit. Choose fruits that are fresh, frozen or canned in water or juice.
- Choose whole grains for more energy.
- Choose lean or low-fat meats and poultry.
- Choose low-fat or fat-free (skim) dairy foods.
We also offer a variety of additional topics including: Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Baby Feeding, Child Nutrition, Family Nutrition and General Nutrition.
We invite you to share with us on how you’re promoting and supporting breastfeeding during National Breastfeeding Awareness Month and all year long.