National Nutrition Month is a great time to begin making healthier eating choices. A simple tip that anyone can do is to eat more fruits and veggies! Why eat fruits and veggies? They taste great, are colorful, do great things for your body and are low in fat and calories. The nutrients found in fruits and veggies may even reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, and diabetes!
Our “Why Eat Fruits and Veggies? Handouts” will help you explore the benefits of eating fruits and vegetables. These colorful, information-filled tear-off tablet sheets explain the importance of eating fruits and vegetables, common serving sizes, daily requirements, and offers great suggestions for ways to eat more.
Here are some simple ideas to eating more fruits and vegetables:
• Choose apples, oranges, and bananas as an easy grab and go option
• Make a smoothie by blending fruit with yogurt & 100% fruit juice
• Top cereal or yogurt with berries or sliced banana
• Choose fruit for dessert
• Dip Veggies in low-fat dip or hummus
• Add veggies to spaghetti sauce or soup
• Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
Take the time during National Nutrition Month to explore the many health benefits of eating more fruits and vegetables. Visit Learning ZoneXpress for additional Fruits and Vegetables nutrition education resources.