Have you heard about the Let’s Move Active Schools program? At Learning ZoneXpress, we’ve been watching the Let’s Move Active Schools program pretty closely. Let’s Move is starting a big campaign to promote health in the schools. They have compiled some great resources and are offering some grant opportunities. We thought the Healthy Schools Program Ambassador opportunity would be of particular interest in FACS Alive readers. It sounds like a chance to become part of a cohort that is going to make America healthier. They are looking for folks who are passionate about health in the school and prepared to help spread the word.
Here is more info from the Healthy Schools Program Ambassador website…
Healthy Schools Program Ambassador: Application
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation is looking for committed, enthusiastic individuals to serve as role models and to empower their school community to be a healthier place to work, live and play.
The Alliance’s Healthy Schools Program Ambassadors are school wellness professionals from across the country, working in their schools and communities to implement strategies to decrease the rates of childhood obesity. This is a diverse range of people; from superintendents and nurses to teachers and parents.
Implementing healthy changes in schools requires real dedication and collaboration and it is important to recognize those who contribute to and help facilitate such efforts. The Healthy Schools Program seeks to identify individual school wellness council members who support school efforts to increase access to physical activity and healthier foods for students and staff, and to help elevate the work they are doing in their communities.
Applicants who serve as a 2013-2014 Healthy Schools Program Ambassador must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be an active member of his or her school wellness council, and must have served on the council for at least the entire 2012-2013 school year. They must also commit to being an active part of the council through the 2014-2015 school year.
- The applicant’s school must be an enrolled member school for at least one (1) year in the Healthy Schools Program (priority will be given to those in schools that have received a National Recognition Award from the Alliance) and have completed the first three steps of the Healthy Schools Program’s Six Steps to a Healthier School Environment:
- Convened a school wellness council
- Completed the Healthy Schools Program Inventory
- Created an action plan
- The applicant must be comfortable speaking to his or her peers and the media about the efforts their school has undertaken in creating a healthier environment for students and staff.
- The applicant must be willing to participate in the Ambassador’s Academy leadership training. This training will build upon the Ambassador’s skills and enhance their ability to talk to others about creating healthier schools.
Note: All Ambassadors are REQUIRED to attend this training which will be held July 23 – July 28, 2013. Location to be announced at a later date. Expenses will be paid for by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
A Healthy Schools Program Ambassador may:
- Serve as a national and local spokesperson for the Healthy Schools Program.
- Serve as an ambassador at key stakeholder conferences and Alliance for a Healthier Generation events.
- Serve as a featured speaker during Webinars (live and/or recorded) and at other venues throughout the year.
- Reflect, advise and provide feedback on the Healthy Schools Program and process.
- Assist in recruiting schools and districts to join the program.
- Be featured in local media and on the Alliance’s website, other partner or collaborator websites and through Healthy Schools Program and NGO electronic newsletters, success stories and other collateral.
Applying to be a Healthy Schools Program Ambassador:
All applications must be submitted by April12, 2013. Please contact Champions@HealthierGeneration.org with any questions.