Picky eating can be a child's first step toward showing independence. Kids don't have much control in their lives so they may use food as a form of power, which can make mealtimes challenging.
Tips to Make Mealtimes Happier:
- Eat together. Kids who eat regular family meals tend to have a more nutritious diet.
- Allow children to serve themselves. Teach them to start with small amounts and to take more if they're still hungry.
- Be a role model. Kids learn from watching you, so show them you enjoy different foods.
- Limit distractions. Put away toys, phones, and turn off the TV.
Tips to Make Food Fun:
- Go shopping and let kids pick out a new fruit or vegetable to try.
- Cook together and give kids age-appropriate tasks.
- Add some fun by cutting foods into shapes, thread foods on a skewer, or serve the meal on a favorite plate.
- Add flavor by offering yogurt, hummus, or dressing to allow kids to dip.
For additional picky eating solutions to share with your clients, check out our: Picky Eating Solutions Handouts.