School breakfast has been proven to boost test scores and improve classroom behavior, while reducing tardiness and trips to the nurse’s office. The 2012 theme for National School Breakfast week (March 5-9) – School Breakfast –Go for the Gold, supports USDA’s HealthierUS School Challenge initiative along with the First Lady’s Let’s Move goals.
To help promote National School Breakfast week, the School Nutrition Association (SNA) has developed useful and fun resources school nutrition staff can utilize to help make their program shine.
- SNA toolkit: Check out this ten-page toolkit for gold standard celebration and publicizing ideas like how to hold T-shirt and poster contest.
- Go for the Gold Menus: SNA has created school breakfast menus to help get students ready for a day of learning.
- Kids activity sheets: Fun puzzles and school breakfast related brainteasers to excite students about school breakfast.
- Parent/backpack brochures: Parent support is imperative to a successful program. Download this brochure Information about healthy school breakfasts for parents and your student customers.
Healthy Kids Challenge has developed classroom lessons which support school breakfast week.
- Build a Breakfast Chain teaches kids in grades 4-5 to recall foods they ate for breakfast. They build a colored paper chain representing the MyPlate food groups.
- Breakfast Cereal Sampling is appropriate for students in all grades. Kids practice measuring, read food and nutrition labels and sample cereals with different grains
Take advantage of these resources, activities and lessons to run a success National School Breakfast Week campaign and help your school breakfast take home the gold!
You can also check out Learning ZoneXpress' breakfast collection here!