A new year usually means a fresh start to begin smart healthy behavior goals. An easy goal to start with is to “Build a Balanced Bag Lunch”. What does a balanced bag lunch look like?
1/2 Vegetables & Fruits + ¼ Whole Grains +1/4 Lean Protein add 1 Serving of Low-fat Dairy = 1 Balanced Bag
Why Pack Your Lunch?
- Save money by not stopping at fast food restaurants or the convenience store.
- Make more nutritious choices by controlling your portion size, amount of fat and calories, and ingredients.
Easy Lunch Ideas:
- Change up your bread and assemble your favorite sandwich using pita bread, a sandwich wrap, or tortilla.
- Take your favorite sandwich fillings and add them to chopped lettuce for a salad.
- Make a pasta salad with leftover pasta, chopped vegetables, canned tune or cooked chicken, and a drizzle of salad dressing.
- Fill a container with raw vegetables and include hummus.
- Eat breakfast for lunch by layering sliced fruit, yogurt, and granola.
- Enjoy leftovers from last night’s meal.
- Think about your drink-save calories and money by choosing to drink water with your lunch.
For more balanced bag lunch meal ideas and tips to share with your clients, check out our: 1 Balanced Lunch Bag Handouts.
Eating a healthy lunch is important for so many reasons! We’d love to hear how you plan to eat healthy lunches this year. Share your tips and ideas.