Introduce students to the science behind food and cooking with Successful Food Science Lesson Plans. The lesson plans include 12 units of food science that cover a variety of topics. Activities and labs are designed to illustrate the practical application of food science in the “real” world. Projects and labs can be integrated into most food and nutrition courses.
• Careers in Food Science
• Technology in Food Science
• Scientific Method & Measurement
• Sensory Evaluation
• Food Safety
• Compounds, Elements, & Mixtures
• Molecular Activity & Heat Transfer
• Acids & Bases
• Carbohydrates, Fats, & Proteins
• Biochemistry of Milk
• Food Preservation
• Food Processing
Fun food labs and experiments include:
• What Makes Popcorn Pop?
• Mapping Your Taste Buds
• Soda Comparisons
• Odor Identification
• Mouthfeel and Sensory Evaluation
• Candy Making
• Faux Ice Cream
• Mozzarella Cheese Making
• Homemade Yogurt
• Making Root Beer
• Friendship Bread and Sourdough Starter
Author Susan Turgeson was the 2008 Wisconsin WAFCS Teacher of the Year and 2009 AAFCS Teacher of the Year.
8 ½” x 11”, 3-ring binder
Grades 9 - 12.
Click here to view the table of contents.